Saturday, March 25, 2006

Good day!

My babies are sleeping. Will was plenty happy to fall asleep tonight so he can wake up and go get Daddy at the airport.

Can I just say that most Waldorf "toys" we've ever played with are just magic? Magic, I tell you! I bought a few things the other day at www.waldorfsupplies.com, including square block crayons and wax modeling soap.

First the crayons. Now, we have so many Crapoloa crayons in this house we should buy stock in the company. Wait a minute, we do own their stock... Anyway, Will has never had much interest in coloring. I think its a combination of the straight crayons, and the waxy, not vibrant Crayola colors. He quickly would lose interest in coloring.

I bought him the square Lyra crayons, plus Mark brought home a binder with beautiful, good quality paper (rather than the ugly computer paper we were using). Will colored for an hour. Magic!

Today, I pulled out this cool modeling soap. I have read that beeswax modeling can sometimes be frustrating for the younger children because it takes awhile to warm up in your hands, so I opted for the Washy Squash Modeling Soap. He played ALL morning with it. He'll play with play doh... but once again, bores quickly. This stuff was fabulous. It was soft, smelled fantastic and was beautiful colors. He made a pea pod, airplane, egg, tree, the coast of Maine (yep) and a zillion other things. Then after lunch, more fun was had using some of it in the bath tub. It literally took up half our day (sorry, Audrey, this is why we never came to play). Magic!

ETA: I just have to add that Jack enjoyed both the crayons and soap too, in his own way. He threw the crayons, and ate the soap. Maybe he will "get it" soon. : )

My heart belongs to Waldorf right now for so many reasons.

Anyway.

A few books I'm reading off the top of my head:

Magical Child
Spiritual Tasks of the Homemaker
Square Foot Gardening
John Holts Homeschooling Handbook (can't remember title)
Eating Without Heating
Chop Water, Carry Wood
Kristen's Fairy Houses
Summer
Spring Has Sprung
Johnnycake
Festivals, Familly and Food
Carol Alts raw cookbook
Whatever else is at the bottom of my bed at midnight.
And forget about my ipod. Who has time for THAT? Sigh.

I have to go read now. I believe Spiritual Tasks will win out this evening.

1 comment:

Catherine said...

Welcome home Mark!